Friday, April 16, 2010

My Love of Books

I've been reading A LOT. Books for research. Books as part of my MFA program. Books that I had to judge for the RWA RITA. Books that students I tutor read so I can tell if they're summarizing correctly. Books scheduled for my book club. Books I like and want to read for fun. And I've loved (am loving) every minute of it.

Reading is one of my very favorite activities. I'd rather read than eat, and I really love to eat. And this has always been the case with me. Even as a child my mother would complain, because I was sitting around "doing nothing". Which kind of makes me wonder where I got this love of books. My father was a reader, but mostly newspapers. My house growing up was not rich with reading material. The only books I had were those I'd borrow from the library. I never owned a book until I was a teenager and old enough to buy my own book - usually at a library sale.


With my children, I made a point to expose them to books. Every room in my house has bookcases. They have their own personal library in their bedrooms. And thankfully, they are readers. As a teacher, I found that some kids I had to cajole into reading while others loved it on their own. But once "forced" most seemed to get into the books they'd chosen to read.


But, I wonder if we're either born readers and loving books or if it's something we learn . . .


Since it's been a while since I've had a give-away, I'd like to give a book lover out there some books to read. Leave a comment below, sharing what you love about books, and I'll choose someone at the end of the weekend to receive Elizabeth Hoyt's Prince collection: The Raven Prince, The Serpent Prince, and The Leopard Prince. In your comments, leave me an email where I can contact you and let you know if you're the winner.


Good Luck!


Julia

3 comments:

  1. what I love about books:
    I think most covers are art (in and of themselves)
    I love the ability to get to meet the characters and become friends with them
    I love that one can escape from the real life for awhile while reading about someone else's life and about other places
    I love hearing about HEA's

    yourstrulee(at)sasktel(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robyn - me too!! I especially love spending time with types of characters I wouldn't normally meet in real life. Thanks for commenting! Will email you to get your address and send you Elizabeth's books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much Julia and Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete