Friday, May 20, 2011

Advertising



I log onto my email account and at the top is an ad for Franklin Covey offering me free shipping if I complete my order (I would if they didn't continually discontinue planners just when I get used to them). On the side is an ad from Staples flashing a picture of an action planner I viewed on their site. Periodically, it switches to various hotels in NYC which I viewed when trying to decide where to stay for my upcoming conference.

As I rub my eyes and try to wake up, I start to feel like I'm being watched and I'm reminded of that movie where Tom Cruise (I think it was him) is walking in a mall and the ads change specifically for him. It's weird, because we're there in that sci-fi world!!

I'm not sure how I feel about this kind of target marketing. I mean, do I really want everyone to know what planner I use, what coffee I drink, what computers I buy, where I send my kids to summer camp? Do you?

And then I wonder if we're all making it too easy for marketers and criminals to know our every step. Has anyone ever "checked you in" to a restaurant on Facebook and announced to the entire world that you aren't home?

I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to block all these crazy ads and companies from finding me, but I think it's worth spending the time to figure out how to do it. I found this one option.

Here is another article about target marketing.

Something to think about . . .


Hugs,


Julia

1 comment:

  1. Check out Julia's interview on www.espinolaeditor.blogspot.com and Author, Julia Amante will send one lucky winner her book, "Evenings At The Argentine Club."

    Please include your e-mail in your comment so we can contact you for your mailing address to send you your free book.

    ReplyDelete