Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Making Beef Barley Soup



I'm starting to think I need to vary my Wednesday or I'm going to have nothing but reciepes on my blog. But not to change in mid-week, he is another favorite of mine. Beef Barley Soup. On cold days, this is soooo good.



You'll need:




1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat


2 tablespoons of cooking oil


7 cups water


1 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up


1 large onion, chopped


2 tablesppons instant beef bouillon granules


1 1/2 teaspoons salt


1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed


1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce


2 cups sliced carrot


1 cup sliced celery


2/3 cup quick-cooking barley


1/2 cup chopped green pepper





Directions


In a large kettle or Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil over low heat; drain well. Still in water, undrained tomatoes, onion bouillon granules, salt, basil, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir in carrot, celery, barley, and green pepper. Cover, simmer for 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper (though I find I don't need to add anything at this point)





This is great to make when you have time, because though it doesn't take a lot of prep time, it takes a long time simmering. But it's well worth the wait.





We've been having lots of rainy days, and it's great on those days.





Hope you enjoy!





Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment